Friday, July 6, 2012

La Boca, Obra San Jose, and Calle Florida

[Note: Due to travel, etc., we are slightly behind with regard to blog posts.  We just returned today from our excursion to Mendoza and will shortly be uploading posts about Mendoza.  Ameer's post refers to the end of last week.] 

Greetings and salutations to all the families and friends back in Boston! I personally hope that everyone is well and enjoying their summer. I certainly know that I am. Buenos Aires is an amazing city and every day I learn new stuff about Argentinean culture. I can´t believe we are almost at the end of our trip time has truly flown by for me! I´m sure I speak for all the guys when I say we will sincerely miss everyone we´ve met here as well as well as the amazing sites of the city. (On a personal note I would like to add that I will also miss the four meals a day and the aflajors.) However, I shall digress since I´m sure my parents won´t be happy in hearing about my reluctance to come home. Here is a recap of what the group did on Thursday and Friday of last week.
  On Thursday the group took a trip to a neighborhood known as La Boca and also stopped at Boca Juniors Stadium. La Boca has many different colored houses as well as many different shops that advertised many different types of Argentina products. Some examples of the products that were most frequently seen were mate cups, mini tango statues, and Lionel messi jerseys (I bought one of those). Also in La Boca, there were models of 1920s Argentina houses that we were able to walk through and look at. In addition to visiting the neighborhood, we also stopped at Boca Juniors Stadium, where the Boca club plays soccer. Now if you read the last blog by Trevor Schramn, then you know that you represent either Boca or River. Seeing as my family loves River and despises Boca (like Trevor´s family) I thought it was interesting to look at the enemy’s territory (On a side note River´s stadium is better. Go River!!). After visiting the stadium and the neighborhood we all stopped for lunch and had some French fries and meat (big surprise there right?). To sum it all up it was a very enjoyable day of sightseeing (I took about a 5 hour nap after.)
 On Friday the group went to Obra San Jose to help out at a shelter and then afterwards we went to a place called Calle Florida. At the shelter we were split up to help the volunteers do various jobs. Some of us served food and drinks to the homeless while others of us cleaned dishes and helped fold napkins. I thought that it was an interesting experience because it allowed me to see the similarities and differences between the poor in Argentina and the poor in Boston. For example here people are more apt to ask for help. They have no problem coming up to you and asking you for assistance. However in Boston, at least in my own experiences, people kind of just keep to themselves.  They won’t really approach you for help. I thought that was pretty interesting. After Obra San Jose the group went with Mr. Rakovec to Calle Florida. Calle Florida is a closed off street with many different shops and malls that you can visit. Needless to say, the street is usually quite crowded and busy. We all walked around for a little bit just admiring the various buildings and sites and then after we took the train back to the school. It was once again another great day (I took a 4 hour nap here.).
I am personally having a great time in Argentina and looking forward to our next big excursion (Mendoza) tomorrow. Once again I hope everyone is well and I will see you at Logan Airport in about two weeks. ¡Adios!

-Ameer Phillips

At Boca stadium



No comments:

Post a Comment