Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Argentina: Home of the warm spirited


As we have almost reached the half way part of our stay here in Buenos Aires, what I have come to realize is that it is not so much the actual city that captivates me, but rather the people who walk its streets every day. Do not get me wrong, I do find the cobble stone streets and the European architecture very appealing. However, the people and the way they carry themselves through their day to day existence truly enthralls me. They are a people living life with much passion, whether it is a soccer match, a dinner time conversation, politics, or relationships. They are all in on life. With that being said, I find Argentinians to be a very content group of people. I noticed this while hosting Pato Bradley. He never seemed bored nor rejected anything. I noticed this about the other Colegio del Salvador guys as well. Now let’s take a trip to Buenos Aires.
            Monday the 25th started out like any other Monday, except we are all in Argentina. As my host Pato and I made our twenty five minute journey through the still dark streets, down into the subway, and into the welcoming doors of El Colegio del Salvador, I was relieved knowing that I was not the one taking exams or having homework due for that day. Sorry Pato. As Pato departed my side and headed towards classes, I eagerly made my way to the cafeteria where my fellow Eagles and a nice warm croissant waited my arrival. After crumbs were the only thing that resembled my croissant, and small chat began to sound repetitive, we made our way to our classes, which are mostly all in Spanish. Although often difficult to understand and follow, being in these classes allows us to not only visualize another culture, with a different student-teacher relationship, but also see our Jesuit identity in action thousands of miles from Morrissey Boulevard, which to me is pretty remarkable.  Once the bell sounds, a stampede of eager boys race to the gym for soccer. I occasionally join them, but more often stay on the side lines chatting with my new international friends. Like Trevor Schramn said in the previous post, these guys are all extremely welcoming and warm, a feeling not typical to BC High. It will definitely be difficult to leave them.
            Later in the day, we had the opportunity to visit Colegio del Salvador’s future leaders. We met students of six and nine years of age. After the group said a Hail Mary in front of all these little niƱos, we made our way to the class room, where we truly were treated like celebrities. Being bombarded with questions, high fives, nouns, adjectives, and verbs, this experience brought on feelings of nostalgia back to my early elementary days where life was so simple. I remember the feeling of awe looking at an older student, wondering what lay ahead in the future. Once the bell rang, and the day ended, leaving was not an easy process. Five minutes of giving every kid a high five, and double checking to make sure I did not miss anyone. We then met with our host brothers and departed to home.
            At home, once I awaken from my lengthy siesta, I feel more than welcome sit down, and participate in a Spanglish conversation with any of the family members. There is the mother, Pato, and Patos two sisters Lucia and Dolores. They all have very bright personalities and seem to constantly have a smile on their face. No joke. I have become more accustomed to their eating habits, usually not eating dinner until 9:30.
            As I reluctantly awoke, it was the morning of June the 26th, I rushed into the normal routine of the morning walk and bus ride. Today, the group started the day out with Eugenia, the head of the English department here at Buenos Aires, to learn about Argentinian culture and history. I was captivated by the story of the military conflict between the local Montoneros and el gobierno. Afterward, the group boarded a bus and headed to La Casa Rosada, Argentina’s version of the white house. It is a melting pot for much political tension and turmoil, as the current president of Argentina is doubted by many of her fellow Argentinians. Always politically-interested Trevor Schramn was enthralled in learning about Argentina’s president and her credibility. He found similarities in Cristina to that of Barak Obama. To how much I agreed with him, I am not sure.  However, it was interesting in seeing some members of the group compare and contrast the two governments. La Casa Rosada is painted with a salmon, pink color, with a waterfall and statue guarding it from the front. The surrounding area is decorated with amazing European architecture. From there, we made our way to the Catedral, a jaw dropping church with prominent gold pillars and walls. Through the many churches we have visited during the trip, it is clearly evident that religion, especially Christianity, is deeply ingrained in Argentina’s culture. After the Catedral, we made our way to the Manzana de las Luces, one of the most historical spots in Buenos Aires. Although looking at the building one would not believe it is one of Argentina’s most historical buildings, behind the brick walls the Jesuits made their first presence in South America. Underneath this building are elaborate tunnels used as escape for the royal family. It is indeed a very ominous building that never seems to end with secret doors and hallways. We then returned for to our host brothers and made our separate journeys to our homes away from home.
            Today, June the 27th, it was an average day at school. However, we once again visited our six year old friends in the elementary school part of the building. We are making friends of different nationalities and ages here in Buenos Aires! Sometimes I wish I could go back and have the same amount of energy that these kids have. Truly an inspiration.
Speaking to an English class.

In front of La Casa Rosada
            Well before I go, I would like to give a couple of shout outs. First off my dogs, Gretta and Tessa, keep holding down the fort while I am gone. Mom, love you. Jay, keep it real. Thomas, miss you bro. Dad, hows it going? Hi Shawna! Ok, everyone goodbye for now. See you in two and a half weeks. 


-Teddy Patsos

No comments:

Post a Comment